Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Mayan Calendar-Is it the end?




There’s absolutely no way that I will claim to be an expert on this subject, but I couldn’t resist the need to weigh in on the subject of 12/21/2012…the date which the Mayan civilization indicates that the world will end via the Mayan Calendar.
First off, I have been aware of this date, and this prediction, since I started paying attention to Belize. This interest was born out of the passionate conversations I had with a good friend who was involved in the founding of a fabulous development in northern Belize, Orchid Bay,Belize. Since then, probably 5 or 6 years ago already, I have fallen deeply in love with the idea of living in Belize and will get there soon. It is a fascinating country, full of adventure…but I digress…
The Mayan’s calendar abruptly ends on December 21, 2012; what don’t know is what exactly is going to happen. If, as some predict, the world comes to an end, I regret that I have not yet actually visited Belize! But the Mayan’s apparently, are not the only ones with a patent on this dilemma…the Cherokee Indians had an ancient calendar which ends in 2012, the Zulu believe that the world will be turned upside down, the Hopi Indians predict a 25 year period of purification followed by the “End of the Fourth World and beginning of the Fifth” and the Hindu calendar matches the Mayan’s almost exactly. They all refer to a time of enlightenment, transformation and/or the beginning of the new Fifth World.
I frequently refer to song lyrics to help me with a variety of scenarios; so with regard to the Mayan calendar, my musings bring me to this question…Is this “The End of the World as We Know It” or is this “The Age of Aquarius?”
I will leave you with this cartoon (courtesy of Mexican Word of the Day on FB), depicting two ancient and obviously very wise Mayan Indians:


If these guys are right, and I think they are…I will post again to wish all of my readers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! If these guys are wrong...get yourself a nice tropical shirt, drink plenty of tequila and relax in one of our fabulous Caribbean Hammocks!



No comments: